Thursday, March 5, 2009

Be Patient in Affliction

As I have been reading the Doctrine & Covenants as a part of my scripture study this year, I have come to truly appreciate the plain and simple topics covered in theses revelations. I enjoy the way that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, through Joseph Smith, speak in plain language where there is little room for interpretation. This is definetly not Isaiah!

Last night, as I read, I found a few scriptures to share with you.

D&C 24:8 - Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days.
  • This should be on a note card tucked in my purse, taped to the dash of my care, and most assuredly, on my computer at work.

D&C 25:4 - Murmur not because of the things which thou hast not seen, for they are withheld from thee and from the world, which is wisdom in me in a time to come.
  • This is hard sometimes, but until I can fully understand and grasp today's doctrine and teachings, I am gratefully that my Heavenly Father knows the perfect season for all things.

D&C 25:10 - And verily I say unto thee that thou shalt lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better.

  • Our Bishop recently read from a talk given by Gordon B Hinckley that asked, "What are we doing with our spare time? Do we have time for video games and working out, but not for Home/Visiting Teaching or Ward Activities? What are we seeking with our spare moments?" I know there are some things that I need to cut out of my life and fill with better things.

D&C 25:13 - Wherefore, lift up thy heart and rejoice, and cleave unto the covenants which thou hast made.
  • The Definition of the word cleave is "to adhere firmly and closely or loyally and unwaveringly". When you think about the covenants you make during baptism, temple service or the Sacrament, are we cleaving to the covenets?
Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

Annie said...

I like the last scripture "lift up they heart and rejoice...." I don't think I rejoice enough.

Melissa Sebourn said...

perfect thoughts for us at the moment!